Saturday, February 26, 2011

Korean BBQ - My Absolute Favorite

I must admit, there is something about Korean cuisine that beckons to me.  Maybe it is my love of salty food . . . . or my love of variety.  Today, my friend M (not to be confused with my husband M who dislikes Korean food) and I went to our favorite Korean BBQ place which is called The Corner Place.  The Corner Place is conveniently located in the heart of  Koreatown at the intersection of West 9th Street and South Vermont.

In Korean cuisine there are a lot of side dishes called banchan.  Usually at one table you will get at least 6 different sides that are meant to be shared among the table, and you can always request more when you run out.

One of my favorite banchan is kimchi.  There are few things I like better than kimchi (fermented Napa cabbage with hot sauce and red pepper flakes).  One of the things I really like about kimchi is that no matter where you go the kimchi will taste a bit different because there are hundreds of varieties of kimchi.


This is the other banchan we had at The Corner Place:

  1. Kongnamul (cold boiled bean sprouts in sesame oil)
  2. Not Sure on Name (cold boiled bean sprouts with sesame oil, cucumber, and green pepper)
  3. Not Sure on Name (carrots with fish sauce - I don't like this one)
  4. Muchae (radish with sweet vinegar)
  5. Not sure on name (carrots and cabbage in sweat vinegar)
  6. Not sure on name (sliced pickled radish in ice water)
Korean restaurants often have one dish they are known for.  The Corner Place is known for their cold noodles: rice noodles in a vinegar broth with scallions, cucumber and tomato.  This dish is served at about the temperature of ice water.  I love it!


After cold noodles, it is time for the Korean BBQ part.  There are many cuts of meat one can choose. 


My two personal favorites are: kalbi (beef rib marinated in soy sauce, sugar, and garlic) and bulgogi  or bulgoki (beef marinated in soy sauce, sugar, garlic, mushrooms and scallions).  

Today, M and I chose bulgogi (1). The bulgogi is brought to the table raw, and it is cooked on a grill at your table (3).  The Corner Place serves their meat with a side of scallions (2) and a sesame oil dipping sauce (5).  This is super yummy . . .


I hoped you enjoyed Korean BBQ (I did!).

1 comment: