Saturday, July 23, 2011

idea for bridal gift registry and bridal shower.

I was on my way home from a morning of window shopping, when I began to think about weddings, bridal showers, being a bridesmaid, registering for gifts, and the list goes on and on.  If you know someone that is getting married or you are getting married, this post is for you.


Registering for Wedding Gifts:


A lot of people seem to be engaged for one-to-two years before they get married.  Shortly before the first bridal shower (which is usually 4-6 months before the wedding), they begin to think - I really need to register for bridal gifts. The bride and the groom make a trip to Bed Bath & Beyond, Target, Macy's etc - to register for everything they "want."


I remember when M and I registered for gifts.  We took the little clicker around the store and just went crazy - and I remember registering for things, not because I liked them or thought they were were the best brand or quality, but because they were the only brands the store offered.  And lets face it, I didn't know what I was doing -- I had just graduated from college.


Now, almost five years later, I have a few ideas:

For any item that is on your list consult America's Test Kitchen or Consumer Reports to make sure it is good quality.


Make your own gift registry by setting up a wedding blog and post a linked list, such as the one below:

A and M Gift "Registry"


4 - Kitchen Towels
1 - Ice Cream Maker
1 - Preparation Bowl Set
1 - Ice Cream Bowl Set
10 - Sour Cream Glasses (new or used)
1 - Waterproof iPhone Speaker
1 - Sand Free Multi Rug
1 - All-Clad Stainless 14-Piece Cookware Set
1 - Dyson DC24 (new or refurbished)
1 - Mega Laundry Sorter
1 - Le Creuset Dutch Oven

So you are probably thinking, this is great, but there seems to be a chance for people to make duplicate gifts.  To remedy this problem you could do one of two things:
  1. List an e-mail address such as a&mwedding@gmail.com for guests to send an e-mail saying I got two towels; or
  2. You could ask guests to leave an anonymous comment that they got 2 kitchen towels - you could adjust the list and then delete the comment. 
Wedding Shower


Something I have come to love are eclectic dish sets:





So the next, bridal shower you host ask the bride if she likes eclectic dishes.  If she does, here is the idea: 

Ask guests to bring one new or used dinner plate, bread plate, or bowl.  Ask each guest when she arrives to sign the bottom of the dish with a waterproof marker, after all the guests arrive stack the dishes and wrap with a bow, and then present the dishes to the bride at the end of the shower.

2 comments:

  1. I love these ideas, Alexa! When we got married I found myself wishing we could register at antique stores and flea markets. :) The shower idea is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. I am totally with you there. I really wanted a few things from the antique store in Ames. Now that I think about it, if the bride wants antiques they could go to the antique store and snap a picture of the item with the smart phone, and get the lot number. Any antique store would be happy to find the item and ship for a wedding present.

    ReplyDelete