Sunday, July 17, 2011

dolce vita - summer salad

Growing up in the Midwest, July meant fresh sweet corn, tomatoes and cucumbers, and today, like clockwork I was craving these summer tastes from my childhood. 

Here is my twist on a banks family summer staple.  

Two Persian cucumbers sliced in quarters:



Two handfuls mini heirloom tomatoes:


About a 1/4 cup of a diced yellow onion:



A generous tablespoon of fresh cilantro, dill or basil:


 One spoonful of mayo and one of sour cream:



One ear of sweetcorn (boiled for about 10 minutes), and then cut it off of the cob:


Cracked pepper and salt to taste.

Serve this salad for lunch with a crispy slice of garlic bread or as a side to a big juicy filet mignon or garnish for pan seared salmon or grilled shrimp.

Pretty easy, but there is just something almost nostalgic about these flavors.  I guess it just reminds me of long lazy summers.

No comments:

Post a Comment