Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Decals

When you rent - you can't paint and you can't wallpaper.  Luckily my landlord had some sense and painted our walls a lovely beige with white trim.  I really like it.  However, if your landlord wasn't so sensible, and you have white wall fever, here is an idea for adding some texture to your home without (1) breaking your budget and (2) damaging your apartment. 
Okay some of them are lame, but others are really neat - at least I think so.  But if don't like the pre-made kind, you can also customize your own decal (which is what I plan to do). 
So my problem isn't that I have white wall fever. I love my beige walls, but my fireplace is on an outside wall, and that makes it really tricky to hang a picture over the mantel.  Plus, I can't really put anything on the mantel because it isn't wide enough.
Enter decal?  So I was thinking I would use a decal frame (I like the oval shape below, right), to frame a silhouette my mother-in-law had of M and I done when we were on vacation (I will also have to have the silhouette made into a decal as well).
                              

You may be thinking that my fireplace looks just fine without anything above it, but I have the TV hanging on the adjacent wall, and I don't like that the TV is now the focal point of the room. I want the fireplace to be the focal point.  Well, it might be awhile until I get to this, but it is on my home improvement list.

No comments:

Post a Comment