Sunday, January 9, 2011

The Thoughtful Hostess - Not the Perfect Hostess

You may be asking what is the difference between the perfect hostess and the thoughtful hostess.  Well, so many magazines I read this year talked about hosting guests as if it was some show you are putting on to show how great you are.  These articles, I think, totally missed the point, it is not about the hostess showing off her home or being perfect.  Having a place where people want to visit, time and time again is not about being perfect - having the perfect home, perfect food, perfect relationship with your spouse, expensive artwork . . . etc.  No one wants to visit someone who is just concerned about the way they look to their guests, it is totally obvious and totally uncomfortable to the guest.  They leave feeling down about themselves, not refreshed and happy to go back to their lives.  Or, they usually leave feeling full of envy, and thinking they aren't good enough to be your friend.  Why would anyone want to do this to their guests?

The thoughtful hostess - is guest centered. It's not about the hostess looking good, it is about everyone having a good, relaxed time, and feeling a little special.  As the hostess - you set the tone! If you are relaxed, your guests will be too.

Now that I live quite a distance from my roots in Iowa, every time M and I go home we are guests of either my sister and brother-in-law, his sister and brother-in-law, my in-laws, or my parents.  Here are some things I have noticed about these wonderful hostesses which have given me some ideas for when I will be a hostess this week as two of my best gal pals will be in town! (I am just going to focus on the woman for this one - although I think being a good host is just as important).

My Mom:

Okay, well as a daughter I should start with my parents, since they taught me most of the things I know.  My mom, really has a gift of making everything special.  She always decorates for the holidays, but the thing I have noticed about my mom, is that while she may spend some time decorating before her guests come over, she doesn't do it to put on a show, she does it to set an atmosphere for her guests.  This is something that everyone notices, and probably why she has hosted Christmas at her home for her family for the last 27 something years. 

Also, we were overnight guests of my parents for three-to-four days.  My parents are remodeling their home - a 1920s farm house - so it is a little drafty.  The home has mostly wood floors, so in an Iowa winter the floors are a little cold. So being the thoughtful hostess, my mom left out thick slipper like socks for M and I.  They weren't expensive, nor were they beautiful, but they were needed, and M and I both felt like we were included as both my parents had the little slippers on as well in different colors.

My Mother-in-law:

My mother-in-law really goes out of her way to make everyone feel special at her home as well.  For instance, she knows I like butter rather than margarine, and so when I got into the fridge there was butter instead of just margarine.    This took some thought and planning on her part.

Also, with the help of my sisters-in-law, my mother-in-law had our quarters ready when we got there.  This is key!  If you know you will have guests having their bed ready when they get there makes all the difference.  They have their own space.  You have made a little nest for them.

My Sister-in-law and my Sister:

Whenever I am at my sisters or my sister-in-laws, they are so relaxed.  Maybe it is because they have kids now, but the nice thing about being at their house is that they don't care where you look, what you touch, or what you eat.  This automatically makes you feel relaxed and loved.

Another Hostess:

Lastly, in college, I spent quite a bit of time one summer at a friend's home.  While I was there, I noticed that his mother's home seemed to be the social place on the street.  There were always friends and family over.  I wondered, why does everyone like coming to this house, out of all of the houses they could go?  After a couple months of visiting, it was clear why.

His mother was totally relaxed, she always had food available, the house was always clean, but not immaculate, and you always felt you were the center of attention when you arrived.  Even if you didn't know her very well, his mother greeted you with a hug and smile. 

In the end, this is what makes a thoughtful hostess.

That being said, I tried to take all of these things that I learned to prepare for my guests this weekend. 

Bathroom:

When I travel, I always forget something, so I made what I call the guest box for the guest bathroom for my two female guests.  I picked up some extra toiletries, and some travel size bottles to put shampoo, conditioner, hairspray, bath wash, and mouthwash in ($2-this was much cheaper than buying an extra set of everything). 




I picked up some travel size deodorant ($1.50), floss ($1), disposable razors ($1.69), two toothbrushes ($2), toothpaste ($.99) and cotton balls ($2.00).  I had an extra set of fingernail clippers and tweezers so I put those in the guest bath as well. 

I tucked all of these guest items (which I will use if they don't need -so they won't go to waste) in a little green box - in the open so they won't feel like they are snooping to find them.



I cleaned under the sink and made sure there was space for their toiletries, curling irons, or blow dryer. 






I scrubbed the bathroom! (every nook and cranny)  While your home, like I said doesn't have to be immaculate, the bathrooms should be really clean.  This is where your cleaning time goes the farthest, no one wants to feel like they are standing in someone else's grime in the shower or see someone else's hair in the corners of the bathroom.  Yuck!





I also put out a basket with wash cloths I picked up from Target ($3.99 for six-I've been needing these for awhile, mine have make-up stains), and two bath towels (one brown and one white, so they won't get confused re whose towel is whose). 



Last week, I picked up these two bathmats which I love to add a little light to my guest bath.  They are so cheery.  I found them at TJ Max for $16.99 each, a purchase I needed to make since I stupidly dripped bleach on mine a month ago.  I love these flower shaped mats.  I spotted similar ones at Anthropology for $38, a few months prior, but wasn't going to spend $80 on two mats. 



Stay tuned for more guest centered tips later in the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment