Sunday, June 10, 2012

Ink....

So it has been some time since I posted.  Things have been super busy this spring :)  Anyway, M and I just got back from a wonderful vacation with my side of the family in Colorado.  It was much, much needed.

Before we left for vacation, me and some friends went and checked out Ink .  Ink is Top Chef Winner, Michael Voltaggio's hit restaurant in West Los Angeles.  We basically tried everything on the menu (except for the tasting menu), and I liked everything.  If I could describe this menu in one phrase, it would be "balanced modern comfort food."  This chef really has a knack for balancing different flavors - sweet, savory, sour, bitter etc. 

These were my favorites:

beau soleil oysters, oyster leaf, mignonette ice.
- These are probably the best raw oysters I have EVER had, and the leaf that is served with them, strangely enough tastes just like an oyster. Yummy!

brussels sprouts, pigs ears, lardo, apple
 - Brussels sprouts charred are probably my favorite of all vegetables - no kidding.  But these brussels sprouts are really something special... I mean lardo... enough said.

baja scallops, egg yolk gnocchi, mushroom hay
 - The egg yolk gnocchi... so amazing.  It has basically the same texture as the scallops, but then  you press the gnocchi against your pallet with your tongue and the egg yolk bursts in your mouth. Delightful, comforting, and filling.

wagyu beef, carrots, tendon, horseradish tofu
- This dish is somewhat reminiscent of a beef stew my grandmother used to make almost every Saturday for me, my sister, and brother, except, this dish is a bit more sophisticated.   This dish pairs succulent beef, a tendon that basically looks like Styrofoam that melts in your mouth, roasted carrots, with a horseradish sauce that is out of this world.  I could literally eat this meal every Saturday for the rest of my life.

greek yogurt, strawberry, japanese peach, coconut
- Light, refreshing, and playful.  I love desserts that have some texture and depth of flavor.  All to often dessert is just sweet.  In my book dessert should be sweet, salty, tangy, creamy.  This dish delivers all of this.  The first layer is a banana/coconut cream with pieces of graham cracker crust.  Next layer is a greek frozen yogurt, followed by peaches and whole strawberries, as well as strawberry and I think rhubarb crushed ice.  

So the next time you are longing for a good meal, check out Ink.

No comments:

Post a Comment