Thursday, December 22, 2011

the stress free Christmas

Yes, I said it...this year's Christmas was totally stress free! I really cannot say that about any past Christmas I have had as an adult.  Last year's Christmas ended, five days before Christmas, with a steady stream of tears after going to three shopping centers, not finding one items I wanted, only to get stuck in the parking garage of the last center for an hour.  Needless to say, my Christmas was over... I didn't get presents for anyone.  It was just too stressful.

After living in Los Angeles for five years, I have finally learned that you don't go Christmas shopping in L.A. during the Christmas season - if you do - you are just insane!!  And I stand by that comment.

So here are some ideas for all of you readers out there.

Christmas Decorations?

There is a reason that traditionally people put up their Christmas tree decorations the day after Thanksgiving . . . because that is the only day during the Christmas season that one has time to actually decorate their home.  So do it on this day, or chances are you won't do it at all or when you do it, you won't enjoy it!

Also, I grew up with real Christmas trees, but honestly I am so happy we have a small fake Christmas tree (I feel so guilty saying it, but its true), it takes 5 minutes to snap the pieces in place, and it is actually cheaper.  There is no dragging the limbs through the hallways of our building... or tying the tree to our car...

Hosting A Christmas Celebration?

I have stated this before, but most grocery stores (for a small fee) will do your grocery shopping for you and deliver it to your front door.  If you are hosting any Christmas celebration - this is the way to go.  Watch your favorite TV show, put in your on line order, and schedule you delivery time.

If you really want to give yourself a treat, hire someone to come and clean your home for you.  While your at your job, someone else can be in your home getting it ready for the party.

Opt for a cocktail party, instead of a dinner party.  Keep a few bottles of holiday cheer around the house so you can whip up a few cocktails on the spot.  To cut down on stress, find two cocktail recipes to use, master them... then by the time the party comes you won't be stressed out when it comes time to whip up the drinks. For the munchies serve a cheese platter with some great proscuitto, salami and olives, bruschetta, and then one appetizer that is more complicated and original.  For dessert serve peppermint ice cream with hot fudge and whipped cream or vanilla ice cream with a shot of espresso.  These treats are simple, but yummy.


Christmas Presents?

Avoid shopping centers and the post office if at all possible.  This year, I did the bulk of my shopping on Cyber Monday.  Not only did I get some great deals (which I can't share because its not Christmas yet), but I got free shipping on almost everything.

To cut down on the sheer cost of Christmas, try to get family presents.  For my sister and her family this year, I got them a pass to the Zoo for a year and a half (for the price of a year).  These types of gifts are easy to get, and give all year long.

Buy Christmas items in twos.  For the babies (two) in my family, I ordered a cool new (at least new to me) toy:



Honestly, I think this is a present for both child AND parent.  I saved money on this by bidding for it on  e-bay.

Eliminate the chance that you will leave presents for co-workers on the kitchen counter.  For instance, I got my assistant a day at a spa in LA., I purchased the spa package online and had it shipped to her at work.

Agree with your girlfriends - that instead of giving each other presents you will go out for a nice dinner after work.

Hostess Gifts

Buy a few bottles of the more expensive balsamic and/or olive oil (often holiday parties spring up at the last minute so always buy two more than you actually need) when you order your groceries online.

Holiday Greetings

Instead of a Christmas greeting, send a Happy New Year greeting .  This way you have all New Year's Day to write your greeting.  Cut down on time by using a service like paperless post. Its good for the environment, easy on your budget, and saves a bunch of time (i.e. no trips to the post office).

No comments:

Post a Comment