Sunday, October 23, 2011

i ate alligator

This weekend I went with my husband, and our friends D and M to Son of Gun, which I have been dying to try ever since I read about it in "Food and Wine" magazine in June.  The food critic said it was his favorite new restaurant in LA.

We tried to make reservations the Friday before, but the restaurant seats 55 and only takes reservations for half of the tables in the place. Walk-ins are allowed to sit at a communal table which seats 22, and these seats are available on a first come first serve basis.  So we opted to dine later, hoping to avoid the crowds, and for the communal dining experience.

I really liked sitting on the communal table, which was made out of a very rustic looking wood and had 22 wooden stools around it. Eating that way also strikes a lovely balance between eating at your parent's kitchen counter and eating at a restaurant.  You immediately feel relaxed.  I also think it makes for a great atmosphere.  We got to see what everyone around us ordered, and strike up conversations about whether they liked what they ordered, what other restaurants they loved in LA etc.  Also, the wait for the table was only about 30 minutes.    

Like the dinner table, the menu is very communal.  It consisted of all small dishes that are meant to be shared with your dining companions (which is really my favorite thing in the world - sharing food).

The restaurant was pretty darkly lit so I didn't take any pictures, but here is what we tried (* liked, but would try something new over having it again, ** would order again, *** want to come back so I can have it again).

Cocktails:
Our table had the pimm's cup, * dark & stormy,* and sazerac

For Dinner:

The Lobster Roll -small piece of toasted bread, lobster, lemon aioli, fennel, garnished with potato chips. ***
Smoked Mahi and Crackers - it was very much like a crab dip, and then topped with fennel. *

Green Goddess Salad - heirloom grape tomatoes, purple green beans, avocado, fennel, rosemary, cucumber, and carrots - this is a playful salad. *

Mussels, Tarragon, Fennel and Toast - I think this was my favorite, I am not sure what was all in it obviously fennel, butter, cream, probably shallot and garlic.  But there were some other notes I couldn't quite put my finger on. ***

Linguine and Clams - this had like a mac and cheese taste to it with a jalapeno bite at the end. *

King Crab Legs w/ Tabasco Butter Sauce **

Alligator Schnitzel with Hearts of Palm and Orange - this was kind of a confusing dish.  The alligator was fried (almost like a very thin chicken patty) and then topped with a coleslaw of sorts with hearts of palm and some type of vanilla sauce.  The sauce reminded me of butterscotch - in the end - I decided that I am not really sure I want something with meat in it to taste like butterscotch?

For Dessert:
Frozen Lime Yogurt, graham cracker crumble, and toasted meringue ***
Apple Pie with ice cream

No comments:

Post a Comment