Saturday, September 17, 2011

potato bread

As I sit here and type I can smell the bread I just took out of the oven.  I love the way bread tastes, but the smell is even better.  I love how it lingers in the air long after its gone.  The smell - takes me back to those days - among my favorite of childhood - when my mother used to make bread.   Whenever my mom made bread it was inevitable that she would say "don't eat it all in one day."  Not deterred, my brother and I would take turns all day long sneaking into the kitchen, to retrieve another piece of bread to share.

My mom used to make all kinds of different breads, but my favorite was when she made my grandma's potato bread.  Well today - as summer fades into fall - I thought some potato bread was in order.




Recipe:

Ingredients
  • 1 Cup Mash Potatoes
  • 1 Package Yeast
  • 1 ½ cups water
  • 2/3 Cups Sugar
  • 1 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
  • 2/3 Cups Shortening
  • 2 eggs
  • 7 to 7 ½ cups flour
Dissolve yeast in water, stir in sugar, salt, shortening, eggs, and mashed potatoes.  Gradually mix in 6 cups of the flour, when the dough starts to pull away from the side of the mixer, turn the dough out onto a floured counter top, and then knead the last cup and 1/2 into the dough by hand.

Roll dough into a ball, and put in a greased bowl.  Cover, let rise, and then punch down.  Roll the dough into dinner roll sized shape, and then place in greased pan.  Place  in 400 degree oven and bake for 20 minutes.

Try it, they are pretty much spectacular!


No comments:

Post a Comment