Friday, September 23, 2011

before and after - end table

I have an old end table - the varnish is coming off and the wood was starting to chip and split in places.  Its been through a lot - college, a long distance move, and a new home in a very dry climate (which isn't so easy on wood).


I'd say its time for an end table makeover.  I like the idea of taking old things and giving them more of a modern twist.  I have this theory that if you are living in a home with a lot of standard features (such as an apartment) you should try to have interesting accents to make the place look less cookie cutter.   One of the ways to do this is to take old furniture and paint it an interesting color.  Inspiration . . .



I have this white orchid so I wanted a color that would really make it pop.  Enter orange - a color that is totally underestimated, but brings bright sunshineness into my beige - cookie cutter - world (and also one of the colors of fall 2011).

Supplies . . . sandpaper, paint (2 in 1 paint and primer), brushes (one large and one small crafty one), newspaper, and white cloth.



About 2 hours of work (quick sanding, wipe clean with the cloth, and begin painting) and I have myself a "new" end table.

1 comment: