Sunday, March 20, 2011

more healthy waffles

I say more healthy, not because these waffles are actually healthy, but because they are more healthy than the usual butter - syrup method.  And by better I mean - more healthy, better tasting, and you feel much better when you are done eating them. 

So here is what I did.  I took a normal waffle recipe from Betty Crocker which called for eggs, vegetable oil, flour, tablespoon brown sugar, baking powder, and milk, and added a secret ingredient.

You guessed it - oatmeal, a 1/4 of a cup to be exact.

The oatmeal made my waffles super yummy - crispy, a little bit more chewy, and added some more nutrients.







To make the perfect waffle - pour the mixture in the iron and wait about 30 seconds before closing the lid - this will ensure that your batter does not ooze everywhere.

You know the waffle is done when the steaming dissipates (about 5 minutes after closing the lid).




For my toppings - instead of syrup and butter - I used a mango and strawberry puree.  This was inspired by a breakfast I had while in San Diego a few weeks ago.

To make mango-strawberry puree: peel and slice one mango (tip: when you get down to the pit squeeze the pit with your hand to get the rest of the juices), and then and about 4 frozen strawberries (no sugar added).  Blend in a blender until the consistency is smooth. 



I also topped the waffles with fresh blueberries and a half of a banana

And last, but not least a healthy dollop of home-made whipped cream. (What would a waffle be without whipped cream?)


No comments:

Post a Comment