Friday, March 11, 2011

fusion cooking and the four hour weekend . . . .

And so it was . . . As much as last weekend was wonderful, it looks like I am making up for it this weekend.  My weekend has been reduced to 4 hours on a Friday night.  Aw well . . . . I guess there is always next weekend.


This week has been particularly busy. I've been getting home from work at about 8:30 p.m. every night.  M has been a real trooper:  Tuesday night - pizza delivery, Wednesday - Chinese delivery, Thursday - eggs and toast.  Well you get the picture . . . not the best week for food.

So for my four hour weekend, I thought the enjoyable thing I would do for myself is make a good dinner for the two of us to share.  But, obviously, it had to be quick.

I have had an idea all week to make a fusion dish.  A friend at work told me about a great trendy fusion place she went to in NYC a few weeks ago for her birthday, and I have wanted to make a fusion dish ever since.  Enter shrimp tacos with sweet Thai chili sauce (my own invention - although I am sure someone else has thought of this before me). 

I love this recipe because you take a bite, and all of the flavors don't hit you all at once - they subtly explode in your mouth. I also love this recipe because it uses a lot of fresh ingredients.


Ingredients

1/2 lb Raw Shrimp; 1/4 Cup flour; 4 T Veggie oil; 1/4 Cup Cilantro; 1/4 Red Onion; 1 Small Tomato; 1 Avocado; Sour Cream; Sweet Thai Chili Sauce; 1 Package Corn Tortillas; Pepper and Salt

Shrimp:
Rinse shrimp, dry and then drudge in flour (only want a dusting of flour)
In a small skillet heat two tablespoons of the Veggie oil over medium heat and saute the shrimp in batches. 
Drain shrimp on paper towel.
Crack pepper and sea salt over shrimp.

Tortillas:
In another small skillet heat veggie oil over medium heat, and quickly sear the corn tortillas until a little crispy (about 15 seconds per side in hot oil - you want them to be bendable without cracking)
Drain on paper towel

Plate it up:
4 Shrimp per tortilla
Cilantro
Sour Cream
Tomato
Avocado
Onion
Drizzle Sweet Thai Chili Sauce over taco

 

No comments:

Post a Comment